Friday, September 5, 2008

"Jesus was a community organizer. Pontius Pilate was a Governor."

I don't know who said it, but I believe the comment that I used as the headline to this post summed up the ridiculousness of the GOP slamming community organizers. By the way, you can get merchandise of this quote here.

Also, what surprised me is that they were putting down people that were putting down people that are fixing society's ills, often WITHOUT using the taxpayers' money.

Here's a collection of some other responses to the GOP's slamming of community organizers.

Newsweek's senior Washington Correspondent, Howard Fineman



John Stewart



Roland Martin

1 comment:

thepete said...

Yeah, it was pretty shocking/amusing to see them behave that way during the convention. Shocking because it was such an obviously divisive thing to do and amusing to watch them fall prey to their own hypocrisies. And here I thought they were supposed to put America First! Bagging on a community organizer sounds like they're putting RICH America First, to me.

Hell, they *had* a Republian community organizer speak--he was the 27 year old white guy (who looked 16) and he talked about organizing a racially mixed inner-city area of Peoria, IL. Why didn't they point, laugh at him and call him a pussy?

But to me the issue is larger than just making fun of community organizers--it's the idea that they are quite literally picking on someone they feel superior to. That's a pretty dickish thing to do, if you ask me. I don't like people who pick on other people, regardless of what the picking-on is for.

Awesome post, though, Bill. It's great to see your opinion and the opinions of those other TV folks on this issue in one place.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised at the behavior of the Repubs--they are the people who invaded Iraq.